Monday, November 13, 2006

Journal

Journal

FIRST – DO NO HARM is a motto that I have always taken seriously so I must start by stating my initial reactions to educational theory. From my first “meeting with Steiner” I was impressed by both the gravity and truth of Steiner’s assertion that TOO EARLY AN EDUCATION WOULD LEAD TO EARLY BRAIN DEATH and while this may seem a dramatic place to start, it seems to have been born out in the increase in prevalence and in the decrease in age of people suffering from DEMENTIA. So when I see educational theories which do not have this philosophical base I return to the motto. In particular, the emphasis on technologically based educational tools at very early ages seems hard to comprehend.

Secondly, I need to reflect on the nature of teaching as a VOCATION.
It does not matter how we view the word vocation, whether in a religious or in a secular sense, a teacher must have it or he/she is possibly in the wrong profession. The qualities of IMAGINATION, INTUITION or INSPIRATION usually set these apart from the rest. One could regard the profession as a destiny path and certainly one knows when one meets someone who is obviously in the correct destiny position. This of course is not unique to teaching, one can easily discern an inspired health care professional from the all too common uninspired one.

I have found great wisdom and truth in using The Cultural Epochs as tools for understanding the stages of Child Development and it has been difficult to balance these against systems of educational theory which neither mention nor acknowledge such stages. Similarly with the Four Temperaments, I have found them to be both true and extremely useful in my understanding of child development.

Within my school environment I would like to mention the Wearable Arts program and its relevance to my Class 7. My entire class of 30 students was involved in some aspect of the program, from dance lessons, choreography, performance, set and costume production, stage construction, stage crew, promotion. The collaborative activities and the individual talents which were exhibited would make any educationalist proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home